St Matthew’s Church, built to designs by local architect Richard Reynolds Rowe in 1866, has a distinctive plan: a Greek cross with octagonal centre. Christ stands in the central lancet of the apse window. The apostle (Matthew?) on the left looks to him with due reverence; St Luke on the other side gazes vacantly off to the right. St Luke originally occupied a window on the far left, but was moved to his present position when the original window was destroyed by one of the few bombs to fall on Cambridge during the Second World War.
Photo: East window, St Matthew’s Church, Cambridge