Waresley has had three church buildings. The original church, which stood in the east of the village, was destroyed by a storm in 1724. In 1728, it was rebuilt “in humble imitation of the chapel at Pembroke College” (Waresley was one of the founding villages, where tithes were used in 1347 to found the Cambridge College). In 1856 Octavius Duncombe had the church moved to a more central position. The original churchyard continued in use for some time as a burial ground; the nave of the old church is marked by an avenue of lime trees and a cross marks the position of the altar.
Photo: Site of old church Waresley, Cambs, May 2017