Pancras Church was built primarily to serve the newly developed areas close to Euston Road, especially parts of Bloomsbury. The design, in the Greek revival style using the Ionic order, was agreed in 1816 after a competition won by the local architects William and Henry William Inwood. The Duke of York laid the foundation stone on 1 July, 1819 and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of London on 7 May 1822. The total cost, including land and furnishings, was £76,679, making it the most expensive church to be built in London since the rebuilding of St Paul’s. It was designed to seat 2,500.
Photo: St Pancras Church, London, March 2012