On 17th August 1847 the railway line linking Cambridge with St Ives and St Ives with Huntingdon was opened to traffic. The line ran on trestles across the River Ouse at Houghton. The St Ives – Huntingdon line was closed to trains on 15th June 1959. Decaying trestles remain as traces of the route.
Photo: Railway trestle, Houghton, May 2017